PubMed has made searching easier for you. Here is a simple tip. If you wish to do a search for Bisphosphonates in Osteoporosis, go to PubMed and click “MeSH database” on the lower right side
In this MeSH database page
- Type Bisphosphonates in the Search box and click Search
- You will get a result Diphosphonates (a synonym). Click “Add to search builder” (on the right side of the page)
- The term Diphosphonates[Mesh] appears in the search builder box above
- Next – in the Main search box, replace Bisphosphonates with Osteoporosis and click Search
- You will get six terms; check the first one “Osteoporosis”.Once again click “Add to search builder”
- In the Search builder box – you will see (“Diphosphonates”[Mesh]) AND “Osteoporosis”[Mesh]
- Click Search PubMed.You get over 3000 results
- Additional tip – change [MeSH] to [Major] for both search terms. The number of results reduces to over 2000.
- Use the Limits link (just above the search box) to limit your search
Try this with different diseases and drugs!
Appeared in Volume 4 Issue 02 of QMedConnect